So everytime I type something wrong or use the wrong word or the wrong tempus or grammar etc. I always get paranoid that someone who has english as their native language, will read what I wrote and spot all the mistakes I made and think, “Is she stupid or something?” or “Daamn, her english is horrible, I am never going to speak to her”.
Please don’t worry about this. I have a couple of observations to make about this.
- Most Americans (I know there are other native English speakers, but I don’t want to talk for them!) do not even bother to learn a second language. A lot of us just sort of expect people to speak English to us. That’s not fair, nor is it right, but it’s pretty true.
- I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone that not only learns another language, but uses it to communicate with me. I don’t care if you make an error, I’m just happy you’re talking/typing with me.
- English is an extremely hard language to learn. Nothing makes sense, we have different words that mean the same thing, words that are the same but mean different things and all sorts of things that are utterly confusing. Plus, we have so many slang words, I’m in awe of anyone that even attempts to speak/write English when it is not their native language.
- You probably speak/write English better than a lot of native English speakers. I’m not joking, it’s sad how lazy some of us are.
- I make a lot of errors and typos, it happens. I don’t expect perfection from myself, so I certainly don’t expect it from anyone else.
Basically, this is just my way of saying thank you to every single person that talks to me and uses English even if it’s not your first language. I appreciate it so much, please don’t stop talking to me just because you are scared to make a few errors. I promise not to judge you as long as you promise not to judge me for being an idiot and not knowing anything other than English.